Residency requirements in Spain

Please find below regulations for residence certificates, non-residence certificates, European Union (EU) certificates, general registration, return authorizations, letters of invitation, nationality reports, student cards and other trades & NIE:

The guide below explains the rules for British citizens applying for residency in Spain: (the information provided at the moment is given as the UK is still a member of the EU)

You must register as a Spanish resident if you want to stay in Spain for more than 3 months. You will get a green A4 certificate or credit card sized piece of paper from Extranjeria or the police.

After EU Exit, you will need to change your registration document for a new card. We will update this guidance when we know how and when this will happen.

Click here for Residency Requirements in Spain

Changes to the residency regulations

In 2012 the Spanish government introduced details of the new residency requirements for all EU citizens, including British nationals.

EU citizens applying for residency in Spain may be required to produce evidence of sufficient financial means to support themselves (and dependants). Applicants may also be asked for proof of private or public healthcare insurance. 

It tells you the documents that are required and provides information about the right to reside in Spain for British citizens and non-EU family members under the current rules. There is also an unofficial translation by the British Embassy of the important parts of the Spanish order to qualify for residency.

Please note, this is no longer dealt with at the National Police Station. The new Oficina de Extranjería (for all Foreigners’ Requirements) is at : Av. Luque de Lerma, Edif. Espana Local 3. Tel: +34 952 867 241 (this road is just off the roundabout near MacDonalds before the turning to La Cañada).

Before going to your local Oficina de Extranjeros or designated police station, you must make an appointment
online, which can be done on the Spanish public administration website

Once on the online appointment booking system, you should select the province where you live and then the option “Certificados UE” and follow the instructions to select and confirm your appointment time.


Please note: The information provided is based upon our understanding of current legislation. It is not legal advice but is provided freely to enable you to be properly informed. We recommend that if you are considering taking action, you should seek professional advice.


Related Posts