How to report a crime

The province of Málaga has recently launched a new system for foreign tourists to report a crime to the police. We have provided details here for your information.

Unfortunately, crime exists – even here in Marbella. If you have had your handbag or personal belongings stolen, been burgled, had items Taken from your vehicle, suffered criminal damage, been verbally or physically assaulted, witnessed a crime or found an item of lost property, you should file a police report as follows:

A new SATE office is now open in Plaza Antonio Banderas in Puerto Banus  to give assistance to foreign visitors on any problem or incident they suffer during their stay in Marbella. Open 10.00 – 20.00 Monday to Friday. Tel: 952 76 87 55.

The National Police provides a ‘Servicio de Atención al Turista Extranjero’ (SATE) for overseas visitors. You can also use this service if you need to cancel credit cards. The SATE headquarters is in Málaga, but all National Police Stations have specialized staff available to help. This service is available from Monday to Friday from 9.00 – 21.00.

What is a denuncia and how do I make one?

A denuncia is a statement made to the police reporting a crime by an individual, a company or any other legal entity. A criminal complaint is known as a “‘denuncia penales” and an administrative complaint is known as a “denuncias administrativas”.

How to file a denuncia

Please Note: Denuncias made in person are usually given priority over those submitted online or by telephone. Some police stations may not have a translator available.

What happens after you have submitted a denuncia?

You will have been asked for details of your nearest police station and provided with a reference number. You will then need to visit the specified police station within 48 hours to confirm the information and sign the denuncia to make it official.

Please Note: If you don’t do this, it will not exist officially. This may cause you problems when making an insurance claim.

Related Posts