How to register on the Padrón

Registering on the Padrón is a simple and straightforward process, providing benefits for you and your community.

Under Spanish law, you are required to register on the Padrón at your Ayuntamiento (Town Hall). The process, which gives the Town Hall an idea of how many people live in the area, determines how much funding the area receives from the Government.

What are the benefits

Public services, including healthcare and education, receive state aid based on the number of people registered on the Padrón. These people also have the right to vote in local and European elections. But, registering on the Padrón offers many personal benefits, including tax reductions, access to social care, discounted travel and discounts on municipal and social services. Despite this, many expats fail to register because they don’t know how to register or because they don’t know why they should register.

Where to register

Ayuntamiento de Marbella, Plaza de los Naranjos s/n, 29601 Marbella
Tel. +34 952 761 100 / Fax +34 952 761 184

Tenencia de Alcaldía de San Pedro Alcántara, Plaza de la Iglesia 1, San Pedro Alcántara, 29670 Marbella
Tel. +34 952 809 800 / Fax +34 952 789 304

Distrito Las Chapas, Calle Pinsapo s/n, 29604 Marbella
Tel. +34 952 768 730 Ext. 3209

Distrito Nueva Andalucía, Avenida Miguel de Cervantes 15, Nueva Andalucía, 29660 Marbella
Tel.+34 952 761 600 / Fax +34 952 812 938

How to register

Documentation required by EU residents:

An identity document from your country of origin plus the residence permit issued by the police or your passport.

  • If you are in rented accommodation: Your rental contract and a utility bill (electricity, water or real estate tax) addressed to the contract holder.
  • If you live in your own accommodation: A deed or land registry report or real estate tax for the dwelling.

For minors without a passport, the same documentation as above, except those born in Spain who may use the family record book or birth certificate.

Registration must be renewed according to the following conditions:

EU residents:
Every 2 years for those in possession of an NIE (Foreigners’ Identification Number) dated prior to 2007 or who have never received one. 
Every 5 years for those in possession of an NIE (Foreigners’ Identification Number) dated after 2007.

Non-EU residents:
Every 2 years for those with temporary residence.
Every 5 years for those who have a permanent or residence card or residence permit.

Give your documentation to a clerk at the Ayuntamiento (Town Hall) and they will give you a confirmation of your registration. Take a copy of this and file it safely.

In some cases, such as applying for a school placement or social care, you may be required to have an up-to-date Padrón certificate – one which has been issued within the last 3 months.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.