Registering for Social Security

If you live in Spain and you are in receipt of a UK state pension, you should obtain an S1 form (previously E121). This is the form you need in order to register with a state doctor here in Spain. Take this form to the INSS office in your area (in central Marbella, it is Plaza Leganitos 5) along with the following documents and copies of all of them:

1) Passport
2) Residencia (green NIE)
3) Marriage certificate (if applicable)
4) Empadronamiento (it must be dated within the last 3 months)

Present the papers and they will probably tell you that you will receive a paper in the mail, they may give you on the spot it depends on the office. Once you receive the document ‘ document acreditativo del derecho a la asistencia sanitaria’ (this is a very important document take a copy and keep safe)

Then go to the healthcare centre ( in central Marbella this is in the same place as above) to register with a doctor. Take the document you have just received along with the above 1-4 and copies (just in case always better to have to many copies and documents with you than have to return) They will register you on the system and allocate a doctor to you. They will give you ‘certificacion de datos’ paper with all the details relating to you.

You need to keep this document safe along with the document you received in the post from the INSS office and take this with you when you see the doctor or go to the hospital until you receive your official social security card in the post.

If you find this useful, please share it on Facebook and/or Twitter.

SharePin on PinterestTweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookEmail this to someone

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>