A cocktail is an alcoholic drink consisting of a spirit or spirits (typically vodka, gin, rum, whiskey or brandy) mixed with other ingredients such as vermouth or a fruit juice. However, these days almost any mixed drink can be referred to as a cocktail.
Here are a few popular cocktails with details of how to make them:
A Cosmopolitan is a cocktail made with vodka, triple sec, freshly squeezed lime juice and cranberry juice.
1. Pour vodka (1 oz.), triple sec (0.5 oz.), lime juice (0.5 oz.), cranberry juice (0.5 oz.) and crushed ice into a shaker.
2. Shake vigorously.
3. Strain into a Martini glass.
4. Garnish with a wedge of lime on the rim of the glass.
A Margarita is a popular cocktail made with tequila, triple sec, lemon juice and salt.
1. Take a Margarita glass and rub the rim with lemon juice.
2. Dip the glass in salt.
3. Pour the tequila (1.5 oz.), triple sec (0.5 oz.), lemon juice (1 oz.) and crushed ice into a shaker.
5. Pour into glass.
A Mojito is a popular cocktail made with spiced rum, lime juice, sugar, soda and mint leaves.
1. Place mint leaves in the bottom of a glass.
2. Add crushed ice.
3. Pour in spiced rum (1.25 oz.), sugar (1 tablespoon) and lime juice (0.5 oz.).
5. Add soda water and garnish with mint leaves.
A Piña Colada is a sweet, rum based cocktail made with rum, crushed pineapple and coconut cream.
1. Pour crushed ice into a blender.
2. Add the rum (4 oz.), crushed pineapple (3 tablespoons) and coconut cream (3 tablespoons).
3. Blend until smooth.
4. Pour into a Piña Colada glass.
A Tequila Sunrise is a cocktail that can be made in several ways. We have provided details here of one of the most popular versions. The ingredients are tequila, orange juice and grenadine syrup.
1. Pour crushed ice into a highball glass.
2. Add tequila (2 measures) and top up with orange juice.
4. Add grenadine juice (2 dashes) by tilting the glass and pouring it down the side.
5. The grenadine should go to the bottom of the glass and rise up slowly through the drink.
6. Garnish with a stirrer, a Straw and a cherry-orange.